Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Pajama Scrapping

I haven't been doing a lot of scrapping the past few days while I'm looking after Miss Rebekah. So in the meantime, I thought I'd share a blog post I wrote for another blog. It was published on Feb 4, 2010 and the Pajama Scrapper referred  to is Denise from Scraptures!  I hope you enjoy the post and the concept! Let me know if you do. :-)

Thursday, February 4, 2010

A few years ago, I met an online woman known only as “pajamascrapper” a name I found fascinating. Over the years since, I’ve come to know her real identity but the concept behind her nameis truly appealing to me!
One of the greatest things about scrapbooking I think is that it is often done in the privacy of my own home. I have a great scrap room with custom-built shelves and desk so nobody but me (and my online friends) can “see” what I’m doing. This means that I do not have to dress for the day OR in any certain manner. Nobody cares what my hair looks like or if I’ve brushed my teeth or not.

Pajama scrapping is one of the reasons I love this hobby. It suits me and allows me to relax in a manner I see fit. For me the time of day when the bra can come off is unlike no other. To release my “girls” gives a sense of true freedom and putting on my long nightie or my loose flannel pants and sweatshirt seems to release my creativity as well. It is then that I venture into my scrap room to play with my paper and create.


This relaxed concept may not suit everyone but for me it’s perfect. I no longer have children at home and my husband knows how to cook for himself. He is happy when I am otherwise occupied because it leaves him free to pursue his own past-times. This past weekend I participated fully in the online crop here at Scrapshotz. The design team outdid itself once again with their challenges (check the gallery if you don’t believe me!) and the fact that the theme was “FASHION”, is what caused me to think about dressing (or undressing).


Seriously, I have been hanging around this scrapbook world for a few years now and I’ve YET to hear anyone say, “Man, I can’t wait to get home and do my hair and nails for a great evening of scrapping!” Generally, what you hear is something along the lines of, “I can’t wait to get home and into my comfy clothes (aka pajamas in my case), and after the kids are in bed, watch some mindless television while I scrap.” In preparation for an online crop, often questions asked in the forum ahead of time are, “Do you have your photos? Do you have your snacks? Do you have your comfy clothes?”

Even when you participate in a day crop outside your home – especially in a group of friends - if you look around, you probably won’t see anyone dressed to the nines (so to speak). Most of the women there will be in stretchy pants (or loose jeans), hair pushed back (certainly not done at the hairdresser before she arrived) and little if any makeup. Hey! Maybe you run in fancier circles than I do but that’s how my friends show up for a day of scrapping!

When I go to weekend crops, what I see as far as dress is even MORE relaxed because you see your friends in all manner of dress and undress. We do shower (one of our friends even brings her own toilet paper for comfort!) but the dress code is always casual. As you’ve learned if you read this blog, packing for a crop is a complicated business so if you do manage to find room for a small bag of your clothes it’s a real bonus!

So back to this whole concept of pajama scrapping, whether you wear your actual pajamas to scrap, or just put on some pseudo-pajamas in the form of comfy clothes, the concept is the same. Scrapbooking is not a hobby you need to dress for. In fact, an argument can be made that it’s a hobby that you undress for. And before anyone starts thinking about naked scrapbooking, I have to say that is a whole other topic and something you probably “should” do in the privacy of your home… and please stay from that heat embossing tool if you do!!!

-----------
Just an FYI, I'm headed to an all-day crop on Saturday and expect to be fully dressed.

1 comment:

  1. LOL...I love this article! Thanks for reposting it on your blog! Pajama scrapping all the way baby!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete